Technology is revolutionizing the foodservice industry, from mobile ordering and delivery apps to tableside ordering. Although some of these new gadgets may appear “trendy,” others are almost certainly here to stay. We at Harbortouch have compiled five of the best new technologies that can lead to long-term profits for your restaurant.
5 Best Tech Solutions for Restaurants
- Tableside Ordering – Have you noticed more and more servers are carrying electronic tablets instead of a pen and paper? Servers can use these tablets to take customers’ orders and send them directly to the kitchen. Not only do orders reach the kitchen faster, but as a result, but meals are delivered more quickly. Tableside ordering also eliminates paper usage and minimizes the risk of mistakes from kitchen staff trying to decipher handwriting. All of this makes for a better customer experience which, in turn, leads to repeat diners and word-of-mouth references.
- Data Security – Data breaches have been a serious issue since the advent of digital information. Recently, large national companies have had their customer data compromised by hackers and, as a result, incurred mind-boggling fines. Many small business owners, with lots on their plate as it is, don’t pay much mind to data security.
However, it’s essential for shops and restaurants to safeguard customers’ sensitive credit card data. A security breach could cost you your customers’ trust and business. Also, your restaurant, along with every other business, is required to meet Payment Card Industry’s new Data Security Standards known as “version 3.2” that became mandatory on October 31, 2016. One step you can take towards becoming PCI Compliant is to work with your local POS Value Added Reseller, like Harbortouch, to make sure you are using a system that can work with the latest standards for data security. By implementing these standards, you will help to safeguard payment data before, during, and after a purchase. These standards do require time, money and expertise to implement, but the cost of compliance is significantly less than the cost of a data breach.
- Cloud-based Technology – Another restaurant POS trend is the emergence of cloud-based reporting and POS management. Cloud-based solutions are becoming increasingly popular in nearly every industry because they can be accessed from anywhere the Internet is available, across any device (desktop computer, tablet or smartphone). This enables business owners to keep a closer eye on their business, whether they are across the restaurant or across the globe.
- Mobile Payments – Now that many banks issue EMV chip cards, restaurants need new technology to process payments. At the same time, customers want faster and easier ways to pay. That’s why most major players in the mobile device industry have delivered versions of the “mobile wallet” incorporating NFC technology (i.e., Apple Pay, Android Pay, Samsung Pay). Mobile wallet payments are faster than using either EMV or traditional swipe credit cards and offering them can improve customer service and satisfaction.
- Leveraging Data – Improve customer experience by learning more about your guests. Checking guest analytics and other data gathered by your POS system are key, but your business may also have access to data from other sources, such as payroll services or a customer loyalty program. If you’re not using all these different data points, you’re missing out on important information that should be guiding your decision-making. Many restaurant technology specialists recommend implementing a real-time “Big Data” service that gathers actionable data from a variety of sources and delivers it—in real-time—to restaurant managers’ smartphones. For example, you can identify staff who attempt to process a suspicious number of voids on cash transactions, preventing theft and increasing profits. Even the smallest restaurants can profit from real-time data collection.
More About Harbortouch
In over twenty years of business, Harbortouch has served more than 300,000 small to mid-size businesses, providing first-class POS software and state-of-the-art POS hardware and earning numerous stellar Harbortouch reviews from satisfied customers. From secure payment processing to cloud-based reporting and management tools, Harbortouch’s model makes its products affordable for any budget. Harbortouch’s ground-breaking free equipment program was featured on the hit TV show Bar Rescue. The program offers merchants custom programming, quality expert installation, and unparalleled customer support.